10 February 2013

New York City - 'Legend'ary times at the Nintendo World store!

This year is also the 25th anniversary of the Legend of Zelda video game series, which is easily and by far one of my favourite video games of all time! Which suits me perfect for it is no surprise to those who know me, and it is something I gladly admit, but I am a massive nerd. It's awesome fun.

Of. All. Time. People!

To celebrate the milestone they've recently translated from Japanese to English for the very first time a memorabilia book entitled The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, that chronicles in epic detail the Legend of Zelda video game series from its very beginnings to its most recent master pieces... awesome! The book includes interviews, concept art, back stories, illustrations... yep, it's damn cool, and to make it even cooler the Nintendo World store in New York City hosted a special event to mark it's release day!  Sweet! Not to mention that during said occasion there was also the chance to obtain a Limited Edition copy of the book in which only 4000 were made for the entire of the United States, making it a rather rare item indeed!

So guess where I spent my Friday night? Standing in the massive line in the hope they have enough copies available of course!

The event started at 6pm, so I left work early at 5pm in the fear the line would be large if I got there too late. Of course this just happens to be the day someone got sick on the subway and an ambulance had to be called, thus delaying the train by 15 minutes. Sigh, all good, I'll still make it with plenty of time.

A little while later I stepped off at the 50th street subway station, to be greeted by snow. Hmm. As I wandered the streets trying to find the store I saw an electronic sign showing that it was currently -8 degrees celcius. Snow and freezing temperatures? Sounds fun! But hey I didn't care, obtaining the book was totally worth it.

Alas soon after I made it to the Nintendo World store.

The Nintendo World store in NYC
Wow this is sweet, I thought the place would be super busy! There is no one out the front! I am going to get a limited edition copy for sure if it is this quiet.

I walked into the store and there was only 30 people at the most inside. Ha, and here I was stressing that I was running late and would have to endure a huge line, or even worse, that the limited copies they have would sell out early. As mentioned before they had only printed 4000 copies for the United States, which of course had to be spread out across the entire country, but also keep in mind that this book was only being released in the United States, and not in any other country, thus essentially making it 4000 copies to be shared amongst the entire world!

So yes, I was a little on edge about missing out, but with such a low turn out for the event it appeared I would get a copy of the book with no problems, I was one of the only ones in the store! Which did seem a little strange I thought at the time.

Found this in the store, which I thought was pretty funny.
Although what I read here was even funnier (and worrisome) "Product not intended for children"? Seriously!?
It was 5.55pm at this time (the event started at 6pm) so I just kind of hung out in the main floor. Suddenly there was an announcement.

"Attention customers. If you are intending to attend the Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia book release event, please note that the line to do so begins outside"

Oh, what? I didn't see any line outside?

I walked outside...

Ohhhhhh man...
I did not see this line from the direction I came from when I first entered the store... turns out the line was simply around the corner... ha! It took about a minute to reach the back of the line, after which I couldn't even see the store anymore!

As mentioned it was currently -8 degrees celcius, and snowing. Snowing! It hadn't snowed for 2 weeks. Oh well, better buckle myself in, it looks like this is going to take a while. I knew being one of the only ones in the store was too good to be true.

I was getting ready to put my headphones in to listen to music in the hope to pass the time better when a guy lined up behind me, which felt good because now I was no longer the very last person in the line. About 10 seconds later he said hello.

Turns out he was super awesome and we got along real well so that was a bonus. About 5 minutes later two other guys lined up behind him, and it wasn't long before they joined our conversation and the four of us were talking the time away, win!

Three fellow Legend of Zelda fans passing the time away
The line moved at an absolute glacial speed, with 'glacial' being an appropriate word for both the speed at which the line was moving, and for an accurate description on how the weather was like too. It was ridiculously cold! Snow was gathering on my head and shoulders like rooftops, and my feet I could no longer feel... it was nuts, so you can imagine my eternal gratitude that I was lucky enough to meet these three guys to talk the time away because we had to endure all this for literally 2 hours before we reached the store... ha!

After 2 hours in line I was happy to be outside the door at last
But we had an awesome time regardless, and when we finally did make it into the store... well, it was all that much more memorable.



Soon the counter was in sight... and not long after that I was at the counter!

"Hi there, are you after the standard edition or the limited edition?" I was asked by the register guy.

"Limited edition of course!"

And then, that was that! Alas it was finally in my hands, one of the now most coolest and important possessions out of anything that I own!

Phew... intense!

Before heading home my newly gained friends and I decided to stop by a bar for a meal and beer... legendary! Attending a Nintendo World store event, meeting some cool new people, obtaining an awesome new possession, and then to round the night off with fries, a burger and some beer!?

Brilliant!

Although that meant it wasn't until I got home that I could get a proper look at what the night had been about. Behold!

Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia Limited Edition. I'm not taking it out of the wrapper to be honest...
Now that was a memory to keep, and even better that it all happened in New York City too. Can't wait to bring it home and place it on my shelf!

I think my roommates approved of the purchase

2 comments:

Tom said...

Hah. I bloody love Zelda! That's pretty awesome, are you actually going to keep it wrapped up? Preserve the value?

Azz said...

It's been 3 weeks and it is still wrapped... And with it now up to $300 on EBay already, I think we both know the answer haha.

I will buy a standard edition when I get home :D

Post a Comment