27 January 2013

New York City - No idea how, but I got a job...

For years I envisioned about creating a life for myself in New York City, with this being the very reason for embarking on this 1-year America trip in the first place really, to see if I could actually do it. When arriving in Los Angeles back in March 2012 I thought I'd only stay one week and be in New York City straight after... it took 8 more months before I finally arrived.

When I did arrive I only planned on staying for 10 days max before moving on because truth be told I already had a flight booked to return home to Australia in only 2 weeks time! How completely unaware I was of what was in store for me...

So in an earlier post I mentioned how I was lucky enough to be offered to stay at a friend of a friend's apartment free of charge for 5 days, which was simply amazing really. Now the lady who owns the apartment, Tammy, is also a CEO of a digital research firm here in Manhattan, and while talking with her one day she mentioned that her computer at the office had died and their IT manager was too busy at the moment to have a look at it.

"Hey, I know IT, I could have a look at it if you like" was my casual reply.

"Oh really? That would be great! Yes come in sometime Monday if you could please, if you could fix it that would be brilliant" was her enthusiastic reply.

So that was that. Monday arrives and I casually made my way to the company's office, met up with Tammy, and she informs me that the 'Operations Coordinator' wanted to talk to me.

Umm...sure.

We introduce ourselves. His name was Jay, an extremely nice guy but a very fast talker, and he only speaks one thing; business.

"Hey Aaron, nice to meet you! So, Tammy says you know computers? Tell me about yourself. She mentioned you've been traveling around America or something?" Jay interrogated relayed to me.

"Umm... yeah, I've... been traveling around America... for about 10 months now. Just for fun really. Going home shortly though. It's been great. Yeah I have a degree in IT, I came here today to help Tammy out briefly, she mentioned there was a computer in need of fixing?"

"Great man, sounds great! Yes yes, we are very busy of late, and our IT manager is completely snowed under with work of late! Let's set you up with him and see what work he needs done okay? So how long you still in America for? Can you stay the whole day today? Can you come in tomorrow? What's your schedule like?"

Woah, slow down there, what's with all the questions? Ha, it was a little intimidating really. I tried my best to answer, informing him that, sure, I guess I could stay for the day, and that if they really needed me then I guess I could come in the following day too, and that I planned to leave home for Australia in 2 weeks time.

The next thing I know he throws this at me:

"Great man, sounds good! Alright well as I said, our IT manager is pretty snowed under, and you have the computer know how. Hey! How would you like a position here? I know you are leaving to go home to Australia soon, but you could probably work until then yeah? What about staying in America a little longer and coming on fulltime?"

He is offering me a job now!? What is going on!?

"Umm, what? Umm, yeah... ok, I could work for the week I guess, but I go home to Australia in 2 weeks though... umm, let's see how today goes, and let's see how much work the IT manager needs to get done first, shall we?"

4 days later and I have officially worked my first week at my new spontaneously acquired fulltime job at a digital research firm as IT support in lower Manhattan... ha!

So... yep, wow... I got a real job! In New York City!

How. Did. This. Happen!?

For years I had dreamed of living in New York City... like, proper living, not just visiting as a tourist for a few weeks, but to actually have an apartment and get a real job in the heart of Manhattan (and not near Manhattan either like Brooklyn, but to be in the city itself). To truly experience the 'How I Met Your Mother' life, like I've always seen on TV or in the movies, and now, out of absolutely no where, it has actually happened; I've got an apartment, and now a full-time, real job, both in the heart of Manhattan.

Yikes...

The problem however is like I said; do I work for a week then continue on like planned and return to Australia in 2 weeks? Or do I take a chance and seize what is quite possibly a true once in a life time opportunity? I do miss home so very much... 10 months later and to still be on the road is... highly unexpected. And it was only a month or so ago that I was questioning and struggling to still be on this trip in the first place.

Despite being one of the toughest decisions I have had to make in quite some time, I think I already know the right answer. Regardless of how much I miss home, friends and family, I can't waste such an amazing opportunity. The answer really is already made for me. Sigh.

So there you have it, this trip, completely unexpectedly, continues!

I've already sent my request to my travel agent to postpone my return flight home for a later date, and I've informed my family and friends of my decision (which was received with both congratulations and disappointment), and Tammy says that she is happy to have me for as long as I like.

So begins a new chapter; living in New York City.

The view from my apartment window

2 comments:

Hannah Marie said...

This is amazing, I really wish you the best Aaron! You alway have something exciting going on and it is quite inspiring.

Azz said...

Thanks Hannah =)

Post a Comment