09 March 2011

Moving to New York City - It Begins!

Update: In March 2012 I left my home of Australia and landed in Los Angeles, America, to begin my journey to New York City. You can follow my progress posts tagged with 'America Trip'.

Update #2: In November 2012, after traveling around America for 8 months, I finally set foot in New York City, thus proudly fulfilling what I dreamed I would achieve some day. Cool =)



March 9, 2011.  Today marks a great day on the life that is my blog.  Let me begin.

For quite some time now, which now that I realize is actually 2 years, I declared somewhat haphazardly that some day I want to live in a city.  Top of my choices were Melbourne (Australia) as I already live close by, know how beautiful it already is, and wouldn't be too much of a stretch, whilst the second choice was much more out there, the great New York City.

I would like to announce that I have now officially decided that I will be moving to New York City... woo!

Hmm, maybe 'woo' wasn't appropriate, because to be honest I am completely freaking out about the whole idea, which I guess is a very good thing considering hey? It would be much more concerning if I was strangely calm.

So, why New York City?  Or, to break it down even more simply.  Why even move at all?  Good questions that definitely need to be answered I would presume as a decision such as this should not be taken lightly.

In honesty, and this may sound stupid, but it really is a bit of a case of 'why not?'.  I am the type of person that is always looking for something new, something exciting, a challenge at every turn.  I get bored easily, with everything, with life, friends, my hobbies, I always need to keep myself moving forward.  With all that said, this 'need' to be forever moving forward out of boredom is also fueled by my biggest gripe and belief in life, that life is meant to be lived. I plan on doing that to the fullest extent possible.

One of my biggest fears of my entire life is to reach 30 years old and not be able to look back at my last 10 years with fond memories of countless and irreplaceable experiences. Now at a (arguably) young age of 22 years old at this moment, I do have quite some time before the big 3-0 I know.  I guess it would just be good to set myself up now. In other words, why wait?

So, that answers the 'why move' side of it, now onto the ridiculous notion of actually moving to live in New York City.  To that I say, why not!  It is New York City! Yes I have never been there before, nor have I even been to America for that matter (haha, I am not arguing my case well that's for sure), but if I am going to make such a bold life choice of making a big move, why not make it the biggest I possibly can?

The time really is now, and after first thinking of this idea 2 years ago, I am happy to hold true to my choice even after the many months of deliberation. I am only 22, single, I've finished all of my studies and another year at my current employment will make myself very admirably qualified in my field, and to be honest, besides family, I don't have anything what so ever holding me here.

Alas, there we have it, once I post this it is official, set in stone, out there on the Internet for all to see, a binding contract on my behalf to not back down and to make a promise that in exactly one years time, I will be posting on this whilst sitting in Central Park in the middle of New York City.

6 comments:

Thomas Catterall said...

Go man go!

Azz said...

Haha, thanks. Will do ;)

Anonymous said...

New York for real people...
This is not sugar coated, this is real.
How to actually survive the move to New York…

http://newyorkknowsbest.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/how-to-move-to-new-york-without-being-shot/

Facts and tips that are practical and useful for once.

Azz said...

Cool thanks for the link, hopefully has some good pieces of info for me! Please however don't stop by once and disappear, stick around for a while =P

Sue Lin said...

I moved to Melb from Kuala Lumpur a week after my 24th birthday, when are u going to NYC?

Azz said...

That's awesome Sue! I love hearing from people who have made a big move or change in their life! And judging by your blog posts, your move seems to be going very well =)

I plan to go roughly March 2012.

Post a Comment